Cinder Block update

Hi, I would like to update my Cinder block to the latest version.
I run the Cinder sample from the latest Spout SDK successfully.
My apps run fine, but do I have to update spout.lib ad spout.dll ?
Thanks,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The Cinder example uses source files rather than the library and dll, so If you are using source files in the same way, update all of them to the latest code.

You only need to worry about Spout.lib and Spout.dll If you are using the compiled Spout library in your project. The only example I have for doing that is for DirectX.

If you are using VS2022, you can use pre-built binaries from the release download. If not, VS2015 or VS2017 for example, you have to rebuild using CMake. Also select the build type CMT option (/MD or /MT) to match with your project.

I had quite some trouble getting Cinder to compile with Visual Studio 2022 and in the end it only worked if I did not re-target the project. I ran out of time to look into it further so left it at that.

Thanks for your reply, I will try to update the Cinder block without the lib and dll, adding the cpp files.
I’m still using VS2017, for other reasons.

I found your GitHub project and see that you are already using the dll.

I would suggest to try the static library “Spout_static.lib”. Then there is no dependency on the dll. Source files would have the same effect but maybe the static library would be a quick upgrade.

You don’t need to include SpoutPanel.exe any more. It is registered when it is first run independently and SelectSender finds it. If not, a simple list box opens.

1 Like

Hi, I started a new branch for the Cinder Spout block : GitHub - brucelane/Cinder-Spout at Spout2.007

I downloaded this branch and succeeded in generating a project with TinderBox and building it with Platform Toolset VS2015 or VS2017.

I had to make some changes to the Windows Graphics Preference functions and the modified files are now in the Beta branch, so use these files. I will push the changes to Master after some testing.

The Spout libraries can created with with CMake for VS2017 (INSTALL build is easiest).

Instead of SpoutLibrary.lib, use Spout_static.lib and change the Visual studio project to link with Spout_static.lib instead of Spout.lib. Spout.dll and SpoutPanel.exe are not required.

It works perfectly.

I just updated my branch following your instructions.
Both samples work fine.
Thank you!
CinderSpout

It’s good to hear that the static library works for you.

Apologies for not mentioning it earlier, but there have been some improvements with 2.007 that simplify the code considerably.

I have made the proposed changes and put them in a testing repository for your review and use as you would like.

The project was developed with VS2022 and you might need to make changes to the Windows SDK version and Platform Toolset.

1 Like