Does Spout work with Intel GPUs?

Hi folks!

Like the title says, I am curious if Spout works with Intel GPUs. My guess is that it does not, but I could not find any specific information regarding this. At least google did not help in finding a proper answer.

So please let me know. I have a laptop Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 so the graphics card is not even that new. BTW, I tried using Spout via Max and it gives me the error “Cannot Create DirectX/OpenGL Interop”

Thank you for your help!
zws

Hi @zws

Some Intel cards are Ok but many are not. The reason is lack of support for the NVIDIA OpenGL/DirectX extension for shared textures.

The Max plugin error is an old one that indicates that the interop extension failed. The plugin should be the most recent one from the Max package manager you should have 2.072.

There is an option to use the CPU instead of GPU if the interop extension is not available. Open SpoutSettings and check “CPU” on. Close it and start up Max. Open the jit.gl.spoutsender help patch and confirm that you see the spinning circle. Then open the Spout demo receiver. You should see a result.

It’s not as fast as GPU texture sharing but can be acceptable at typical video resolutions up to 1920x1080.

1 Like